How to resolve Skype Ravbg64.Exe Issue
If you have ever face the most common error of Skype that is “Skype keeps asking to use ravbg64.exe every time I start it up”, don’t worry because in today’s tutorial I will show you How to resolve Skype Ravbg64.Exe Issue.
What is Skype?
No wonder Skype is a world famous application that is used for video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One console, and smartwatches over the Internet. Skype also provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit text, video, audio and images.
What is Skype Ravbg64.exe error?
It should be crystal clear to everyone that the Skype Ravbg64.exe Error is neither a virus nor a malware. It basically is a Realtek audio driver for Windows. It is pretty much possible that the device upon which the error is popping is powered by a Realtek chip.
In simple words, Skype is asking if it can use the audio device to playback audio through the speakers if it is set as the default playback device. The error is shown in its technical terms. If in the description would it appear, it will be something like “Can Skype use your soundcard to playback audio”.
How to resolve the Skype Ravbg64.exe Error?
Well, there are a couple of ways with the help of which you can address Skype Ravbg64.exe Error and today we will discuss a few methods. Also, the fact that Skype never seems to remember your settings. We will try to sort it out as well.
There are two ways to fix Ravbg64.exe. The first one is to set the sound card as the default playback device. The second one is selecting ravbg64.exe manually and allow it access to Skype.
Setting the Sound Card as default
Both the version has somewhat same procedure whether you are using the standalone Skype app or the built-in Windows application.
- Go to settings in the standalone application or if you are using Windows application, click on your profile and go to settings.
- Then go to “Audio and Video” section.
- Change the speakers from Default device to the speakers or headphones you want to use
- Click ok then close the Skype and restart your system.
This will most probably resolve your issue but if it doesn’t, then you should try for the next method that is selecting ravbg64.exe manually and allow it access to Skype.
Manual Settings of Ravbg64.exe
If changing the default settings doesn’t work out for you, then the only solution is to select ravbg64.exe manually and allow it access to Skype. Follow the below steps to get it done.
- Select Tools and go to Settings in Skype.
- Select Advanced Settings and then navigate to the ‘Manage other program’s access to Skype’ text link at the bottom.
- Click to open it.
- Select ravbg64.exe in the Explorer popup window and select Change.
- Select Allow and then OK.
- Click on save settings and restart your system
This method actually give the Skype specific permission to use ravbg64.exe. So it should not pop the error anymore. If these methods doesn’t work for you, then you need to try the next two methods.
Skype config settings
The other two options left for your is to reset user configs or reinstall Skype. Let us first see if resetting the configuration works. The config is stored in the Skype folder within your specific folder.
- First of all, close Skype and stop the process in Task Manager
- Then open the windows explorer
- Type or paste ‘%appdata%’ into the URL window of Windows Explorer and hit Enter and it will take you the folder having data of Skype.
- Navigate to the Skype folder and select it.
- Right-click and select Rename.
- Rename it to something else. just like you can rename it to FILE_old or FILE.old but you don’t have to.
- Once you are done with these steps, restart Skype.
The Last Option : Re-Install Skype
If all of the above mentioned methods doesn’t work for you, then the last option and guranteed that it will work, is that you have to uninstall the current version of skype and reinstall another one.
- Select Skype for the Windows Start button
- Right-click and select Uninstall.
- Scroll to Skype and select it.
- Select Uninstall from the menu bar and let the process complete.
- Reboot Windows to complete deletion
- Then reinstall the Skype.
As said earlier, we have presented three fixes to address the Skype Ravbg64.exe error, but it is not necessarily going to work for anyone. Although it will work for most of the people. The best and last option is to reinstall Skype.
Don’t forget to share your feedback regarding your experience of fixing the Skype Ravbg64.exe error through the comment section.